Dissertation Topic: Spatial and temporal analysis of RNA polymerase II
transcription kinetics in living cells.
Yehuda is a graduate of Bar-Ilan University's Faculty of Life Sciences. In his interdisciplinary research he combined advanced imaging methods of live cells, analyzing them with computer simulations and mathematical models. Using these tools, he explored the kinetic aspects of gene expression pathways, and followed the kinetic of main events in the life cycle of mRNA.
Recently Yehuda and his family have moved to the Galilee, where he has joined the founding team of the new Faculty of Medicine in Tsfat. In his new job he is leading the establishment of the Scientific Equipment Center that provides the basic infrastructures for the faculty's research. In addition, he plays a central role in setting up the faculty's new bio-medical research center.
According to Yehuda, this exciting opportunity is a natural continuation of the 'giving vision' demonstrated by the Azrieli Foundation. He intends to leverage this environment of fast developments and innovation of the newly established faculty to do his best to contribute to the development of the North.
A Personal Perspective:
"The generous financial support of the Azrieli Foundation allowed me to concentrate on my research, and created exciting opportunities to meet with a fascinating group of people.
But beyond all that, the 'spirit of giving' of the Azrieli Foundation and its commitment to bringing advancement and real improvement to the country has motivated me immensely. This is true Zionism. I take with me this 'spirit of giving' and the 'mantra of duty' which was often repeated: 'If you have - you must also give'."
• Brody Y, Neufeld N, Causse S.Z, Weiland-Böhnlein E, Neugebauer K.M, Darzacq X, Shav-Tal Y. 2011. The In Vivo Kinetics of RNA Polymerase II Elongation During Co-Transcriptional Splicing. PLoS Biol. 9 (1): e1000573
** Research highlights Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2011 Mar; 12(3):136-7.
• Brody Y, Shav-Tal Y. 2011. Measuring the Kinetics of mRNA Transcription in Single Living Cells. J Vis Exp. 25; (54): e2898. doi: 10.3791/2898.
• Brody Y, Shav-Tal Y. 2011.Transcription and splicing – when the twain meet. Transcription. 2; (5) :216-20.
• Huranová M, Ivani I, Benda A, Poser I, Brody Y, Hof M, Shav-Tal Y, Neugebauer KM, Stanek D. 2010. The differential interaction of snRNPs with pre-mRNA reveals splicing kinetics in living cells. J. Cell Biol. 191: 75-86.
• Mor A, Suliman S, Ben-Yishay R, Yunger S, Brody Y, Shav-Tal Y. 2010. Dynamics of single mRNP nucleo-cytoplasmic transport through the nuclear porein living cells. Nat. Cell Biol. 12: 543-552
• Ben-Ari Y*, Brody Y*, Kinor N, Mor A, Tsukamoto T, Spector DL, Singer RH, Shav-Tal Y. 2010. The life of an mRNA in space and time. J. Cell Sci. 123: 1761-1774.
• Lomonaco SL, Kahana S, Blass M, Brody Y, Okhrimenko H, Xiang C, Finniss S, Blumberg PM, Lee HK, Brodie C. 2008 Phosphorylation of protein kinase Cdelta on distinct tyrosine residues induces sustained activation of Erk1/2 via down-regulation of MKP-1: role in the apoptotic effect of etoposide. J. Biol. Chem. 283: 17731-17739.
• Aizer A, Brody Y, Ler LW, Sonenberg N, Singer RH, Shav-Tal Y. 2008. The dynamics of P body transport, assembly and disassembly in vivo. Mol. Biol. Cell 19: 4154-4166.
• Brody Y, Shav-Tal Y. 2008. Visualizing real-time transcription. Cent. Eur. J. Biol. 3: 11-18.
• Darzacq X, Shav-Tal Y, de Turris V, Brody Y, Shenoy SM, Phair RD, Singer RH. 2007. In vivo dynamics of RNA polymerase II transcription. Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 14: 796-806.
• Coquelle FM,Levy T,Bergmann S,Wolf SG,Bar-El D,Sapir T, Brody Y, Orr I, Barkai N, Eichele G, Reiner O. 2006. Common and divergent roles for members of the mouse DCX superfamily. Cell Cycle 5: 976-983.
• Clement-Ziza M, Brody Y, Munnich A, Lyonnet S, Besmond C. 2005. GeneRetriever: software to extract all genes and transcripts in between two genetic markers to assist design of human custom microarrays. Biotechniques. 39: 180-184.