MD/PhD in Computational Biology and Genetics
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Dissertation topic: Roles for microRNAs in Host-pathogen Interaction and Carcinogenesis.
After completing a year of internship at Western Galilee Hospital in Nahariya, Naama received both her MD and Phd degrees from the Hebrew University. She is currently doing a short post-doc at Weizmann Institute in Dr. Ido Amit's lab, working on sequencing of single cells, and also works shifts as a doctor at Terem - Emergency Medicine Centers. She plans on starting her residency in Pediatrics at Hadassah Hospital in January 2014, in parallel to continuing her research at Weizmann Institute.
A personal perspective:
In Naama's words: " I had the honor of being an Azrieli Fellow in the years 2007-2010. During these years I met students from different Universities and different fields and was exposed to fascinating research of different kinds. I was encouraged to volunteer and give back to the community and I was privileged to have the financial support of the Azrieli foundation. But most of all I was privileged to have the moral support and encouragement of the warm and caring people in the foundation. I am ever thankful to the Azrieli foundation for helping me succeed in the challenging task of completing both an MD and PhD".
• Elefant N, Altuvia Y, Margalit H. 2011. A wide repertoire of miRNA binding sites: prediction and functional implications. Bioinformatics 15;27 (22): 3093-101.
• Elefant N, Berger A, Shein H, Hofree M, Margalit H, Altuvia Y. 2011. RepTar: a database of predicted cellular targets of host and viral miRNAs. Nucleic Acid Research (Database issue) D188-94.
• Dölken L, Krmpotic A, Kothe S, Tuddenham L, Tanguy M, Marcinowski L, Ruzsics Z, Elefant N, Altuvia Y, Margalit H, Koszinowski UH, Jonjic S, Pfeffer S. 2010. Cytomegalovirus microRNAs facilitate persistent virus infection
in salivary glands. PLoS Pathogens 14; 6(10): e1001150.
• Stern-Ginossar N*, Elefant N*, Zimmermann A, Wolf DG, Saleh N, Biton M, Horwitz E, Prokocimer Z, Prichard M, Hahn G, Goldman-Wohl D, Greenfield C, Yagel S, Hengel H, Altuvia Y*, Margalit H*, Mandelboim O*. 2007. Host immune system gene targeting by a viral miRNA. Science 317: 376-381.
- Science perspectives: Cullen B.R. 2007. Outwitted by Viral RNAs. Science 317:329-330.
- Nature Reviews Microbiology: Ahmad S. 2007. Viral Immune Evasion: Evasive Maneuvers. Nature Reviews Microbiology 5:658-659.
- Evaluation by Faculty of 1000 as Must Read: Hurwitz A, Leib D, Muller S, at: http://www.f1000biology.com/article/id/1089028/evaluation .
- Selected as one of the ten Notable advances in 2007 by Nature Medicine: “2007 in review - Notable Advances” (2007) Nature Medicine 13:1401.
• Altuvia Y, Landgraf P, Lithwick G, Elefant N, Pfeffer S, Aravin A, Brownstein MJ, Tuschl T, Margalit H. 2005. Clustering and conservation patterns of human microRNAs. Nuc. Acids Res. 33: 2697-2706.