PhD in Physics
Weizmann Institute of Science
Dissertation topic: Spatio-temporal Coherent Control of Nonlinear Optical Interactions.
Haim Suchowski is a postdoctoral researcher at the "Ultrashort physics and Nonlinear optics" group at the Weizmann Institute of Science.
He holds a B.A. in Physics (2004) and a B.Sc. in Electrical Engineering (2004) from Tel Aviv University, M.A in Physics (2006), and a PhD in Physics (2010) from the Weizmann Institute of Science.
His research deals with quantum coherent control of atoms and molecules with ultra-short laser pulses, and analogous schemed in nonlinear optics. The research combines theoretical and experimental approaches from the fields of physics, mathematics and engineering.
During his PhD, he published 10 articles, and 2 patents.
Haim is currently doing postdoctoral research at UC Berkeley in the U.S., investigating the innovative and developing field of meta-materials in the optical regime. These materials enable unprecedented flexibility in manipulating electromagnetic waves and produce new functionalities in nano-scale photonic structures.
A personal perspective:
In Haim's words: "The Azrieli family's vision, of awarding fellowships to graduate students in Science, Architecture and Education, was not limited to providing financial aid to the Fellows. It also involved the creation of a genuine, unique atmosphere among the fellowship recipients. As an Azrieli Fellow, I had the opportunity to meet other research students nationwide and from multidisciplinary research fields. The meetings enabled me to become familiar with different methods of performing research. The talks, and the ideas that were raised during these talks, have left strong, long-lasting impressions.
All of this would not have been possible, without the amazing team that runs this operation, turning vision into reality. A special thanks to the program's Senior Academic Advisor, Professor Joshua Jortner, whose presence and remarks at these meetings contributed a great deal to the multidisciplinary discussions. Thanks for this extraordinary experience".
• H. Suchowski, B. D. Bruner, A. Gannany-Padowicz, Irit Juwiler, A. Arie, Y. Silberberg. 2011. Efficient upconversion of ultrafast pulses. App. Phys. B. Accepted for publication.
• H. Suchowski, B. D. Bruner, A. Arie, Y. Silberberg. 2010. Broadband nonlinear frequency conversion. Optics and Photonics News 21 (10): 36-41.
• A. A. Rangelov*, H. Suchowski*, N. V. Vitanov, Y. Silberberg. 2010. Wireless adiabatic power transfer. Annals of Physics. 326 (3): 626-633.
• G. Porat, H. Suchowski, Y. Silberberg, A. Arie. 2010. Robust up-converted optical parametric oscillator with intracavity adiabatic sum frequency generation. Opt. Lett. 35: 1590.
• B. Bruner, H. Suchowski, N. Vitanov, Y. Silberberg. 2010. Spatio-temporal coherent control of three level systems. Phys. Rev. A 81: 063410.
• H. Suchowski, V. Prabhudesai, D. Oron, A. Arie, Y. Silberberg. 2009. Robust efficient sum frequency conversion. Opt. Express 17: 12732.
• T. Polack, H. Suchowski, D. Tannor. 2009. Uncontrollable quantum systems: A classification scheme based on Lie subalgebras. Phys. Rev. A 79 (5): 053403.
• H. Suchowski, D. Oron, A. Arie, Y. Silberberg. 2008. Geometrical representation of sum frequency generation and adiabatic frequency conversion. Phys. Rev. A 78 (6): 063821.
• H. Suchowski, A. Natan, B. D. Bruner, Y. Silberberg. 2008. Spatio-temporal coherent control of atomic systems: weak to strong field transition and breaking of symmetry in 2D maps. J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys. 41(7): 074008.
• H. Suchowski, D. Oron, Y. Silberberg. 2006. Generation of a dark nonlinear focus by spatio-temporal coherent control. Opt. Comm. 264: 482-487.
• H. Suchowski, Y. Silberberg, Inventors: H. Suchowski, Y. Silberberg. Efficient Broadband Optical Wavelength Converter. US Patent No. 20110026103-A1, February 2011.
• H. Suchowski, A. Rangelov, N. Vitanov, Y. Silberberg. Inventors: H. Suchowski, A. Rangelov, N. Vitanov, Y. Silberberg. Robust Wireless Energy Transfer. Patent pending 2010-032 .2010.