Marlin Penner completed his PhD at the University of Alberta in Chemistry. He is engaged in postdoctoral research at the Technion, Israel Institute of Technology, and in collaboration with a research group at Ben Gurion University of the Negev. Marlin aims to use the tools of synthetic chemistry to explore the underlying mechanisms of recognition of ubiquitin, a protein that plays a critical role in cell behavior. Using his expertise in synthetic organic chemistry as a bridge to the world of biochemistry, he hopes that his fresh approach and the insights gained from his research will lead to a better understanding of and more effective treatment for implicated cellular diseases.
• Penner, M., Rauniyar, V., Kaspar, L., Hall, D.G. 2009. Catalytic Asymmetric Synthesis of Palmerolide A via Organoboron Methodology. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 131 (40): 14216-14217
• Penner, M., Schweizer, F., 2007. Ritter-based glycoconjugation of amino acids and peptides—access to novel glycoconjugates displaying a β-amide linkage between amino acid and sugar moiety. Carbohydrate Research, 342 (1): 7-15
• Penner, M., Taylor, D., Desautels, D., Marat, K., Schweizer, F.2005. Access to unnatural glycosyl amino acid building blocks via a one-pot Ritter reaction. Synlett, 2: 212-216
Presentations at conferences:
• Penner, M., Brik, A., Ciechanover, A. Synthesis of Ubiquitin Peptide/Protein Conjugates. German-Israeli Project Funding Program (DIP) Conference; 2013 February; Technion, Haifa, Israel.
• Penner, M., Rauniyar, V., Kaspar L. Hall. Palmerolide A: a catalytic asymmetric synthesis featuring organoboron methodology and its application towards analogues. The 2010 International Chemical Congress of Pacific Basin Societies; 2010 December 15-20 . Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
• Penner, M., Rauniyar, V., Kaspar, L. Hall. Catalytic Asymmetric Synthesis of Palmerolide A via Organoboron Methodology. Banff Symposium on Organic Chemistry; 2009 Oct 29- Nov 1. Banff in Alberta, Canada.
• Kaspar, L.T., Penner, M.; Rauniyar, V., Hall, D.G., Studies Towards the Synthesis of the Marine Natural Product Palmerolide A. 91st Canadian Chemistry Conference and Exhibition; 2008 May 28. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
• Penner, M. and Hall, D.G."Progress Towards the Total Synthesis of Palmerolide A Using the Claisen-Rearrangement of an Alkenylboronate Intermediate from a Multicomponent Reaction Product".
(Poster presented at the Banff Symposium on Organic Chemistry, November 2007, Banff, Alberta, Canada)
• Poon, K.-H.; Penner, M. Detectability of Transgenic Salmon by Real-time PCR. The Federal Food Safety and Nutrition Research Meeting; 2003 October. St-Hyacinthe, Quebec, Canada.