This year, we have chosen the topic of Gender in Academia, and the unique issues gender brings to academic leadership.
The subject is very broad, and raises many questions: What obstacles do women experience throughout their academic careers? How many women populate senior academic staff? Can we really break the glass ceiling? How much progress have we really made?
Thinking about our Fellows, young researchers at the beginning of their careers – we asked: What is their responsibility to this issue? Does gender have an effect on their ability to become an academic leader? And, once in a position of leadership, does gender have an effect on the way they may, or may not, choose to lead?
See abstracts and additional info HERE
Rochelle Avitan, Program Manager
Tirza Peleg, Head of Special Projects, Community Engagement & Alumni
10:30 Gender in Academia: Breaking the Glass Ceiling in 2018
Facilitator: Dr. Andrea Gondos, Azrieli International Postdoctoral Alumna
- Gender Equity: Higher Education in Israel: Looking Towards the Future
Tamar Kravitz, Academic Policy and Development, Council for Higher Education (CHE)
Nina Ostrozhko, Budgeting of research funds and infrastructure, P.B.C. ("VATAT")
- Women in Hi-Tech : The Untapped Talent Pool
Yael Mazuz-Harpaz, Project Manager - High Skilled Employment, Ministry of Labor
Facilitator and Professional support: Tova Averbuch, Opening space for collective wisdom
- Alon Appleboim, Is there gender inequity in academia? And how can we tell when it’s gone?
- Brigitta Schvarcz, Navigating family and academic career: Finding the golden balance
- Ori Katz, Gender and PhD: What makes the stage of PhD gender biased?
- Rachel Gregor, Sexual harassment in academia: Taking responsibility for a change in culture
- Itay Griniasty, Show them how it’s done: Case studies of successful gender-equal recruitment
- Nirit Pilosof, “I am not a female architect. I am an architect”: A debate on the empowerment of women
- Erez Cohen, Women Lead: Women who shape our world
Offi Zisser, CEO, Azrieli Foundation Israel
14:40 Academic Leadership and Gender
Facilitator: Dr. Yosepha Tabib-Calif, Academic advisor to the Azrieli Fellows Program
- Prof. Daphna Hacker, Associate Professor at the Tel Aviv University Faculty of Law, Women and Gender Studies Program.
- Dr. Sarab Abu-Rabia-Queder, Senior Lecturer at Ben-Gurion University of Negev, Blaustein Institute for Desert Studies
16:00 Closing Remarks