Asaf Levy is a PhD student at the Weizmann Institute of Science in the field of Molecular Genetics. His research is multidisciplinary, combining the fields of microbiology, genetics, computer science and statistics, to examine how bacterial non protein-coding genetic elements can cause toxicity to foreign cells. In doing so, Asaf hopes to open a door towards the development of new antibiotics.
• Kimelman A*, Levy A.*, Sberro H.*, Kidron S., Leavitt A, Amitai G., Yoder-Himes DR, Wurtzel O., Zhu Y, Rubin EM, Sorek R. (* equal contribution). 2012. A vast collection of microbial genes that are toxic to bacteria. Genome Res. published online February 1.
• Meiri E*, Levy A*, Benjamin H, Ben-David M, Cohen L, Dov A, Dromi N, Yerushalmi N, Zion O, Lithwick Yanai, Sitbon E (* equal contribution). Oct 2010. Discovery of microRNAs and other small RNAs in solid tumors. Nucleic Acids Res. 38(18): 6234-46.
• Levy A, Schwartz S, Ast G. Mar 2010. Large-scale discovery of insertion hotspots and preferential integration sites of human transposed elements. Nucleic Acids Res. 38(5): 1515-30
• Kontorovich T*, Levy A*, Korostishevsky M, Nir U, Friedman E. (* equal contribution). Aug 2010. SNPs in miRNA binding sites and miRNA genes as breast/ovarian cancer risk modifiers in Jewish high risk women. Int J Cancer 1 127(3): 589-97.
• Tzur G, Israel A, Levy A, Benjamin H, Meiri M, Shufaro Y, Meir K, Khvalevsky E, Spector Y, Rozansky N, Bentwich Z, Reubinoff BE, and Galun E. 2009. Comprehensive gene and microRNA expression profiling reveals potential role for microRNAs in human liver development. PLoS ONE 4(10): e7511
• Tzur G, Levy A, Meiri E, Barad O, Spector Y, Bentwich Z, Mizrahi L, Katzenellenbogen M, Ben-Shushan E, Reubinoff BE, Galun E. 2008. MicroRNA expression patterns and function in endodermal differentiation of human embryonic stem cells. PLoS ONE 3(11): e3726.
• Rosenfeld N, Aharonov R, Meiri E, Rosenwald S, Spector Y, Zepeniuk M, Benjamin H, Shabes N, Tabak S, Levy A, Lebanony D, Goren Y, Silberschein E, Targan N, Ben-Ari A, Gilad S, Sion-Vardy N, Tobar A, Feinmesser M, Kharenko O, Nativ O, Nass D, Perelman M, Yosepovich A, Shalmon B, Polak-Charcon S, Fridman E, Avniel A, Bentwich I, Bentwich Z, Cohen D, Chajut A, Barshack I. Apr 2008. MicroRNAs accurately identify cancer tissue origin. Nature Biotechnology 26(4): 462-9
• Levy A*, Sela N*, Ast G. (* equal contribution). Jan 2008. TranspoGene and microTranspoGene: transposed elements influence on the transcriptome of seven vertebrates and invertebrates. Nucleic Acids Res. 36 (Database issue): D47-52.
I volunteer in Nitzotzot Mada - http://davidson.weizmann.ac.il/sparks
This is a project in which I meet high-school students of Ethiopian origin on a weekly basis and prepare them for their matriculation exams. I mainly help by teaching math and I enjoy very much the interaction with them.